Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Talking

By 18 months old, toddlers are supposed to be saying a handful of words.  Kaitlyn is almost 20 months old and has only really said like 3 words - dada, all done, and ball.  I haven't been overly concerned because she signs so many words, but just last night Christian and I were talking about the fact that she isn't saying many words.  Less than an hour later, Christian was holding a ball and signing ball and asked Kaitlyn, "What is this."  Kaitlyn did the sign for ball and said, "It's a ball."  We couldn't believe it and for a moment wondered if it was a fluke, but she deliberately said it a second time, "It's a ball."  Her first sentence!  Of course, we couldn't get her to do it again, but I know she is just sinking all of the language into her mind and before long will be speaking in sentences.

No comments: